Monday, November 22, 2004

The Fall-acy of the Arch

Ever had a perception of something that turned out to be completely false, and the reality is just flat out dissapointing???? I had one of those the other day...

APPARENTLY the arch in st louis DOESN'T go over the river!!! WHO KNEW? I'm sure everyone right now reading this is like "umm..Jeremy..we all knew, you're an idiot." Umm..well...NO ONE TOLD ME!!! I had the idea that the arch spanned the width of the Mississippi. And just recently I was thinking about why its not called the "gateway to the south" because, after all, the river does run south. but while i was talking to a CERTAIN SOMEONE, i was informed that not only is it the "gateway to the west," it doesn't actually go over the river. WELL, obviously I was quite dissapointed. Now i just see it as some stupid THING thats in the middle of the city and can HARDLY be called art. WELL, i'm also disgusted that its symbolizes our westward expansion. It just joins the ranks of mount rushmore as a big structure that reminds everyone (ok, not everyone...) of the destruction of the poor, poor, native americans. (recently i've been realizing these things that they never really tell us in school, or just choose to touch very lightly on. its a conspiricy!)

So anyways, i just wanted to voice my DISGUST at was has finally come to light...at least to me. I mean cmon, with the money they spent on that thing they coulda built the cardinals a brand new stadium!!!! or at least sign albert pujols to a new contract.

--JJ

9 comments:

kenny said...

Go to Barnes & Noble right now. Buy "The People's History of the United States." You won't regret it.

The Juice said...

i'm on my way.

teddo said...

Jeremy, I'm sure, absolutely sure that they taught you better history than that in every school you attended. I've seen the arch, and I was impressed. I'm sure that if St. Louis had historically been the "Gateway to the South" those incredible engineers who designed the structure could have spanned the Mississippi. What's next, You're not impressed by the Eiffel tower just because it doesn't pump oil?
Teddo

Brown Sugar said...

jeremy, i love your pictures. please continue to assist my reading with pictures to show what you mean.

Anonymous said...

I've been in the arch....quite interesting (especially the ride up)....yes you can go in there

Lauren aka The Riot Girl

kenny said...

Did ya get the book?

The Juice said...

not yet. maybe i'll go tomorrow.

kenny said...

Maybe you should put it on your Christmas list...

The Future said...

Ever think that Mt. Rushmore was not for indians to see? Why can't it have pure purposes? It was for good reasons. Of course it is bad that we got rid of the Indians. I can't believe we can do some things like that that we do, but I don't think St. Louis or South Dakota mean to rub it in their faces.