Friday, February 18, 2005

For the Holiday Record

Ok so its been pointed out that i've been hating on a lot of things lately, especially holidays. So i just want to set the record straight that there are holidays that i enjoy....and still some others that im not so fond of. Lets begin. oh, and as a pre-note /disclaimer, i may miss a few holidays..well.honestly, i can't remember them all and i have no idea when they are. and forgive me if they are out of order. if you really care about that you have too much time on your hands.

New Years- Love it. not a fan of the ball dropping, not sure what it means (does anyone?? please let me know) but its a time of renewal, and lets be honest, we can all use a lil of that. Its a time you can reexamine whats happened over the past year, good and bad, and maybe make some changes for the next. but whats up with the list of people who've died over the past year?? Lets not dwell people...

my birthday- need i say more? yeah, you who missed it know who you are. don't come cryin' later for free flights.

groundhog day- you know

valentines day- i believe you all know too well...

mardi gras- can be fun, but only if you do the local family style mardi gras. if you go to bourbon you just end up wading around in other people's vomit. YES!! and this is when a lot of locals go skiing. so its a good holiday

i vote for a new holiday be put RIGHT HERE- beginning of baseball season. more on this later

easter- a big furry bunny dropping off huge chocolate bunnies at my door? swweeeet. oh, and the day the stone was rolled away from the grave. i think we can all agree on this one. cept for those bunny costumes...yikes

mothers and fathers day- much like valentines day..umm...MOM AND DAD THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!!! I LOVE IT!! (send money???)

st patricks day- don't know much about it, but i hear its awesome here in chicago. ill get back to ya on that one. but can anyone back me up on that wearing green /pinching thing? i hated that growing up. just because i forget to wear a color i get hazed all day. most of the time i was being punished for the fact that my mom forgot to put out green for me. but i always played off a sliver of green on my shoe or something. uggh..bad memories.

april fools- depends on which side of the prank you're on.

memorial and veterans and labor days- good things that need to be remembered. i lump them all because quite frankly i can't tell the difference between the first two and ....well ...come to think of it , whats the point of labor day?? that i work?? we all work! well, not all of us. yeah i just realized that labor day is pointless. can anyone tell me..off the top of they're head...when these holidays are?? no cheating.... i can't.

fourth of july- bottle rocket fights!!! need i say more? well, our independence is pretty rad too. and the grilling out.

halloween- free candy with razor blades in them? NICE. cept when your little and you can't figure out something good to wear. my favorite costume of all time? my dad once made me a sweet ninja turtle costume(that is not me in the pic) . awesome. good holiday

thanksgiving- eh. we celebrate family and friends. which is good. but the food is WAY overrated. why can't we just have burgers, steak, and salad? this is really whats holding thanksgiving back. turkey and dressing just ain't doin it for me, sorry. but really this is just a precursor to christmas. lets be honest.

aaaand christmas! the greatest holiday. birth of Jesus, free stuff, forced giving is always a little hard, but you can surprise a friend who doesn't expect a gift, with a gift, and you can't beat that look on someones face when they open a gift they ACTUALLY WANT. plus its cold outside...well...depending on where you are....

so there ya have it. see, i'm not so cynical!

-JJ

11 comments:

Adrian said...

Jeremy, I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on Thanksgiving. I HATE TURKEY! And what's up with the cranberry sauce?...gross.

The Future said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Future said...

I was baptized on St. Patrick's day, so that's a pretty cool one for me.

Do you ever think your mom set out clothes that were not green on purpose? How would that make you feel? Maybe she thought you did not get hazed enough at home.

And for a cool ninja turtle costume, check out my bro!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/CaptainDingo/1990b.jpg

tjmccloud said...

totally with you on the spring training holiday- and the ninja turtle costume- still got mine.
Holly loves Thanksgiving- but i feel like it is overrated as well. the family is good- the food is usually bland- no matter who cooks it. Im for chinese thanksgiving.

Shea said...

Jerm, ... is Mardi Gras really a holiday?... or just a Louisiana thing?
Future... were you the other person in the ninja turtle pic (I'm assuming so)? What the heck were you dressed as for Halloween?

The Juice said...

future, you look like the guy off of theres something about mary. awesome!!!

The Future said...

Yeah, that's me.

Na, Juice, no Something about Mary look there. That look was from the 80s.

Come on, I was the original mustached private investigator- Magnum P.I., hence the hawaiian shirt. I didn't have the baseball cap, though.

Actually, was it a Detroit Tigers cap? If it was, then I had the exact same one, it was my dad's and up in the closest. I just didn't realize it at the time!

The Future said...

Wow, I didn't realize how bad those shorts were at the time, either...

Shea said...

Okay Poindexter, I dedicate my 2nd blog posting of the day to you and Zach. Check it out!

Kate said...

You were pinched if you didn't wear green on St. Patrick's?? I never heard that one! On the other hand, my grandmother, who's parents were off-the-boat-Irish, said that we weren't supposed to wear any orange that day...not exactly sure why...it was somehow offensive...

Anonymous said...

Hey now...Thanksgiving is the ONLY (yes THE ONLY) holiday where you can indulge in food and not give a damn! Well in my humble opinion

Lauren aka The Riot Girl