Friday, March 11, 2005

Eeny meeny miny UH OH

On the van ride to the hotel on thursday night in Hartford, CT, I learned something that forever baffled me. Other crew members were laughing at me because i was so stuck on it. I overheard a conversation about how you have to be careful when being funny over the P.A. because you never know who is going to be offended. They went on to say that a girl had gotten written up for something she said during boarding.

As you know, we have open seating at Southwest, so sometimes people have a hard time choosing between seats even though THEY'RE ALL THE SAME! Anyways, during boarding she got on the P.A. and said "eeny meeny miny moe, find a seat, c'mon lets go!" but i was baffled as to why that would offend anyone. I asked, and they said they werent sure, just that it had something to do with the "N" word. and they moved on. But i was stuck. what the heck does that have to do with the "N" word?? I asked 3 more times, but i couldn't get a straight answer. "For cryin out loud, what the heck does that phrase have to do with the "N" word???? how does that work???"

Finally i got an explanation. "Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a..." and i interjected "TIGER!!"
laughter. "nononono" they said. "thats what you say all the time. thats not how it started. Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a 'N*****' by the toe..."

UH OH. I was astonished to learn that a little game that I played my entire childhood and sometimes to this day, meant something so disgusting. How does that happen that I was never told this? does anyone else know this?well apparently some people do. some people know enough about it to complain when someone makes a fun little joke out of a little game we played as kids. what other phrases are out there like that? I could lose my job because i try to play a little game on the plane? or is it people being a little too sensitive? Because its when stuff like that happens that crew members get a little cautious of playing games, then theres stuff written about us in the newspapers how we're no fun to fly anymore. uh huh.

It just amazing to me where these little games come from. Or maybe it was all made up. maybe none of this is true. maybe ill google it. hold on, lets see....

yup, here ya go. its from a very old childrens song. crazy.

Be careful out there.

-JJ

4 comments:

Tidmore said...

I actually never knew that I've always just heard Tiger. So I'm in the same boat as you.

Here's another one. "Cotton-picking hands" As in get your cotton picking hands off of me, started back when slaves picked cotton on plantation. Sadly there's alot like that. I just don't ever connect them in my head, so I'd probably get in trouble alot.

kenny said...

Great post JJ and great comment Travis. Didn't Yosemite Sam say "cotton-pickin' hands" to Bugs Bunny all the time? So strange.

BSC said...

That's messed up. Old people were some mean bastards when they were young and came up with all this.

kentbrantly said...

juice, i only speak in meters because that's how it was told to me, and i don't know how many feet that is.