Tuesday, March 29, 2005

What You've all Been Waiting For

So ever since i became a flight attendant, people have asked me to tell stories of crazy things happening on the plane...well..for the first three months...not much happens. we load people on, goof around, sling out some snacks and drinks, and gett'm to where they want to go. simple.

Today we landed in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. We were completely full. Nothing unusual. I was flying A, which meant i was in charge...kind of. We pull up to the gate, i look out the window to wait for the ops agent to pull the jetbridge up to the plane. But there was no one there. there were a couple people in the jetbridge, just no one was operating the jetbridge. I just figured they were waiting for the ops agent. And we waited...and waited...about 10 minutes go by, and still no one is there. at this point i have the door cracked enough to where i can see and talk to the people in the jetbridge. during this time i'm just talking to passengers up front and letting a little girl tell me jokes. the Captain has made an announcment that we "were having a little delay" and that we'd be off shortly. i could just imagine someone getting closterphobic in the middle of the plane and going crazy with no way out.

Finally someone pulls up the jetbridge to the plane. she walks up, gets her face real close to the crack in the door and starts whispering something to me. She says that I need to keep the door closed, and that immigrations was outside. I had wanted people on my plane. great. so slowly we have law enforcement trickle down to the end of the jetbridge. people on the plane are getting ancy. they have no idea whats goin on. i can't exactly make an announcement about it. just had to wait and act as if nothing was wrong.

finally they let me open the door. they make an announcement about who they were. They said they were going to check Id's. everyone. EVERYONE had to show ID. they inquired about peoples nationality. one at a time. a couple people they told to stay on the plane. towards the back there were some mexican guys they made stay. At this point i'm staying out of the way. Still trying to do my job, i'm telling these poor people who are deplaning to "have a nice day". right.

So these poor mexican guys were illegal immigrants. they handcuffed them all and took'm off the plane. i can just imagine waiting to board a plane, and seeing guys being taken off in handcuffs.

as we boarded the next flight, people were joking around with me about it. "Looks like you've had an interesting day." "Never a dull moment 'round here" i reply.

So yeah that was the first crazy thing that happened to me. Oh, and when you get mad that an airline's flights are late, this is just one thing that could happen thats out of our hands.

6 comments:

The Future said...

I can't believe you. Stand up for the lesser man! Don't let the cops get to em. Where's your Mexican blood? I thought you had morals; I was wrong.

That's whacked out. Didn't realize they could do that. Why don't you not let the illegal immigrants board in the first place?

The Juice said...

i have no idea. i don't know how all that stuff works with the ticketing and everything.

kenny said...

The problem isn't that you let the illegals on the plane. The problem is that you let the Feds on the plane. Did they have tickets? Did they have boarding passes? Are they above the normal rules of society??

Just kidding...

BSC said...

If things continue like they are, here in the next few years the Federalis will be boarding US planes to remove Americans who aren't citizens of the the "New" Mexico.

Lauren said...

Just wanna say sorry for the multiple comments in the post down below....I was trying to publish my comment and nothing came up....like it couldn't get through so kept clicking..ugh again sorry!

Heh your situation reminds me of the time when my family and I were helping our cousins move to AZ so we did a road trip all the way across the U.S. and when we came back through TX in particular El Paso the Customs officers or whatever pulled us over and asked for our papers. They assumed we were Mexican. So everyone pulled their IDs out 'cept for me since I didn't have a driver's license...lol...

Malaysian Debster said...

I read your blog to Josue, and he just started laughing! Imagine, and he's Mexican! Haha...