Monday, May 23, 2005

Fessin' Up

"If you feel like eating, eat. Let your body tell you what it wants."
- Joan Benoit Samuelson

I'm a competitive human being. You challenge me, I'll probably take it. I love hittin' the diamond against another team. I loved playing intramural sports in college. Most sports, whether I'm good at it or not, i enjoy playing (this does not include rugby, which i have no respect for) just for the pure competition. I hate running.

WHAT?? I'm sure your asking yourself if you read that correctly. I took off this morning in dallas for a little jog, ran around a while, came back, walked into josue and debbie's apartment, and said "I hate running."

I ran track in high school. I loved it. I loved the meets. I loved the adrenilene flowing through me. I felt alive. But i hated practice. It all just seemed so pointless. Until i got to the meet, then it was all worthwhile, but the next day it would all start over again. day after day, running in circles.

It all just seems so pointless. Sure, it keeps me in shape, but theres so much other stuff i actually enjoy doing that keeps me in shape. Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Baseball, Football, hamburgers, coca cola, FOOD for cryin' out loud (you have to remember i need to keep my weight up)

Its worse when you have no running partner. I get bored. I just wanna go home when i'm running.

So yeah, i've had it. Like the quote at the beginning, I'll let my body tell me what it wants (i'm keepin' this to athletic endeavors and such, don't extend this to anything else) So there it is. Its out there. You'll take it, you'll eat it, and you'll like it.

-JJ

5 comments:

The Future said...

I hate running too. That's why I LOVE throwing the frisbee, because unlike a football or something, you can run really hard and really far to get under it and catch it! That's my kind of exercise, just call me a golden retriever!

kentbrantly said...

so the future and i were right.... you didn't have what it takes to do the marathon.
i, also, do not enjoy running for the sake of running. give me a purpose. put a ball in front of me. throw me a frisbee. something. but running from some arbitrary location to a second arbitrary location, not even for the purpose of getting from point A to point B, but solely for the sake of running.... forget it.

ps - i'm glad to hear your new philosophy is not universal to all parts of life... that could get messy.

Anonymous said...

Well I've got to say, I have to agree with you on this one. I used to run for sports, but once the goal was gone, I realized how pointless I thought running was. I had to pick other sports to try to keep in shape. But I guess that's why I admire runners so much.
Your "Bad Knees Dad"

Anonymous said...

Enough with this "Running story" Inquiring minds want to know, Whose this mystery person you met on a flight!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

-Travis Tidmore, (Too lazy to log in right now)

J-Wild said...

I hear you. I hate running to. If I HAVE to run then it's gotta be the right song, and it's gotta be on a treadmill. Worse than running is lifting weights for the legs...I HATE IT. I can do curls, bench press, and dips all day. If I have to do four squats then I feel like I want to throw up.

Sprinting on the other hand...that would be fun. Of course sprinting by yourself is the ultimate in dorkiness so don't do it.