Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Life Lesson

I’ve been had.

Today I was lied to. I don’t like being lied to. Too many repercussions. Life lied to me. It told me I could do something. I couldn’t.

My bike’s been annoyed at me lately. Too much pavement he says. So today when I didn’t receive a call by 11am, I packed up my bike and took off to the suburbs to let him have a little air. Literally.

My first mistake was right there at the beginning. I turned onto the trail and two guys stop me, saying they were doing some work and I could go back this way. I told them I’d find another way out. Unfortunately I didn’t know another way. But I figured I could find one.

I arrive at one of my favorite trails, which begins with a steep hill that declines into the woods and is littered with roots, and at the end you splash through a creek. After that you go up a hill, then descend again. At the bottom of this hill theres a small creek. Theres two ways through this creek. The first is off to the side, where there is a bike path worn through its trenches. I had every intention of going this rout, but as I got to the bottom of the hill I stopped. I saw another way through.

The side of the creek I was on was about a foot higher than the ground on the other side. The span of the creek was about 2 or 3 feet. I looked up the hill where I had just come from, and I got an idea. I could jump this sucker. Easy. Life told me “Cmon ya pansy. You can do this. This is nothing.You’ve jumped a million sea walls out by the lake, this was no further of a jump.” So I trek my bike up the hill turn around, and down I went.

I picked up speed, hurling myself towards a trench that surely awaited my demise. I hit the edge pulled my front wheel up, my entire bike was now airborn….

Aaaaannddd…SMACK! My bike felt like it wanted to buckle under the pressure. I felt like I had just jumped off the empire state building. Unfortunately right as I landed, my right foot slipped off the peddle.

Now I don’t have the most muscular legs. If you’ve seen my shin, theres not much between the bone and the skin. It’s like a razor right under the surface of my skin.

When my foot slipped, the peddle started at the bottom of my leg and proceeded to climb up my leg, ripping flesh away from my leg with the its teeth that normally serve as grips. I’m barreling out of control. I pull my back break and I start fish-tailing out of control, slamming into thick bushes. I come out the other side and proceed to fall off the right side of my bike.

I was ok, I was not knocked unconscious, I did not pass out, I did not break any bones, and unfortunately I had forgotten the card for my camera, so I was unable to take a picture of the effects. However I did not touch the wound until I arrived at home, so if you want you can see a picture of it below.

I rode away from the accident alive and well. Well, except for the pieces of flesh that I felt flapping in the wind as I sped up for the next jump.

P.S. I WAS wearing a helmet.


This is what it's all about

11 comments:

Malaysian Debster said...

Yikes Jerm! Thank God you're still ALIVE.

JonGrubbs said...

Man, Poindexter, first you start the day by tearing out of my shoulder, and now this. You're well on your way to becoming a one-bike-trick pony. Much like my friend, BikerFox! Suh-weet!

kentbrantly said...

nice

Kristi said...

Yikes! That's a big cut. I hope you've learned how to clean your wounds and not to leave a bandage on it for a week unattended. (Or else your whole leg might fall off this time) :)

kenny said...

Bah, the way you described the wound, I expected much worse. Maybe the photo just doesn't do the wound justice...

The Juice said...

ARE YOU calling me an embellisher???

kenny said...

I would never call you that to your face. =)

LoriLoo310 said...

Ewwww, grody!

The Future said...

You were lied to- Maybe like when you lied to us for months?!?!?

At least my leg didn't get a scar, but I already have one from falling down! (like usual, right?)

Hope it heals. We'll have matching scars- mine from athletics in 8th grade. Crate jumping.

griz9 said...

It's about time you got back on a trail. I've got a matching battle wound from the trail ride I just went on Tuesday when my tire slipped on the loose rocks making my peddle come back around and smack me in the shin!

BSC said...

You ever take it off any sweet jumps?