Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Contact

wow. i finally got to talk to my mom tonight, i think i got lucky and got through to her cellphone. shes doing fine in mississippi, shes now at my cousins in madison, where they have power and water...first since the hurricane. she said it was nice to have a bath. it was also the first shes seen of the destruction in the city. she seemed very shaken, especially since she hasn't talked to my dad today. she asked me if i'd seen any more of his pics on the web....i told her i'd just seen the ones from earlier today. I'm sure we'llbe updated tomorrow.

tomorrow shes going to try to go home, and shes terrified of what she might find. i told her that i did know that we didn't get the worst of the storm and from what i've heard, there wasn't that much damage.

She talked to my brother yesterday, and they're still out doing search and rescue. Honestly I feel completely worthless sitting here in Josue's nice apartment in Dallas, while my mom is struggling in Mississippi, my dad's out in the flooding taking pics and undoubtedly helping people, and my brother is out saving people's lives. I wish I could do something...when i found out that the N.O. airport was allowing humanitarian flights in and out, I immediately called crew scheduling and volunteered my services to work a flight into the city to help. Unfortunately they already had had people volunteer and had already scheduled a flight into the city. I think that says a lot for the company that I work for. I guess all I can do is send in money....

Anyways, hopefully I can talk to my mom tomorrow if/when she makes it home to the house. I think the only thing i'm worried about is if a tree fell on the house or something.

-JJ

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeremy,
I finally found an internet connection. my email account is down, and of course as soon as I got online sending some photos to our temporary news operation in Baton Rouge, I wanted to check the loose juice site.
I'm doing OK here. As you have seen in any of the photos you've seen, it is unbelievable here. It's hard to get my mind around what has happened.
We were evacuated from the Newspaper office, our main office and all of our bureaus are flooded or wrecked. My truck is abandoned atop an overpass downtown, out of the water and hopefully not looted. As for the rowboat mom mentioned, I paddled from the superdome all the way to Causeway Blvd to escape the rising waters and to get resources to do my job. It took four hours. People everywhere where calling for help from rooftops and inside their attics. More about that later. Once I got out and found rescue boats, we were able to get back to some of the same neighborhoods to help them.
Tonight, a group of photographers and I found a vacant room at one of the downtown hotels, no electricity, water or anything else, but they do have security. The streets are extrememly dangerous at night, so we try to be done at sunset.
I hope mom can get home tommorrow. I would love to know more information about our home. So many of my friends here in NO have lost everything. Mr Don, our neighbor, said the house looked OK as 8:30 or so Monday morning, about the time the eye was passing New Orleans. We haven't talked to him since because all communications have broken down, as you know. I haven't heard how our new church building in Mandeville faired. You know, Sunday was supposed to be our big celebration.
I hope Chris is getting some great opportunities to use his skills. I was hoping I might run into him down here, but mom said he was working Biloxi, Gulfport and west. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your blog. It gave me a real lift.
Talk to you soon. I love you.
Dad

The Juice said...

church building made it. mr martin moore talked to chad bordelon. its fine. hopefully the house is also.

The Juice said...

oh, and i'm sure looters will look inside your truck, see the odemeter say 350,000 miles and say
"umm..i don't think so" and leave it alone.

jch said...

Jeremy, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, you guys and the rest of those affected by Katrina are in our prayers here in Brooklyn.

kenny said...

JJ, so glad to hear/read that your folks are okay. Praying still for all the rest that weren't so fortunate.

Lauren said...

Glad to hear you heard back from your mom and your dad posting on here :) If Jeremy's parents and other family members are reading his blog....please stay safe and sound during these hard times.....

Malaysian Debster said...

Mr Ted and Ms Nancy, we are SO glad to hear that you're alright. Our prayers continue to be with you. ~ Josue & Debbie

Casey. said...

So glad to hear that everyone is okay. We pray for your continued safety in such a chaotic time.

Eric Tooley said...

Tears are coming down my face as I see Ted's words and that Nancy and Chris are okay. You guys have been in my prayers constantly since Sunday. Ted, it sounds like God is answering my prayer that he use you as He sees fit in this disaster. I share your feelings of frustration Jeremy. I never felt so guilty for having clean running water. We love you guys.
Eric and Angela Tooley

Kristi said...

Oh, thank goodness... I've been praying for you guys and will continue to. A lot of people have evacuated up here to Memphis. I believe most everyone has their electricity back here. And, if you know anyone that needs a place to stay since everyone's being evacuated, seriously, we have an extra room and we'd be more than happy to help.

Sara Tooley said...

Jacksons, I'm so happy you hear you are all okay. I've been so anxious to hear how you all are, and praying my heart out. My whole office knows how worried I've been, and they all cheered when I yelled that Mr. Ted was okay! Again, I'm so glad y'all are well and accounted for, and I know Mr. Ted and Chris, you guys are out there saving the world, while the strength of love and faith in God that your family has is keeping y'all together, even when you're far apart. My prayers are with you all.
God Bless You,
Sara