Monday, September 26, 2005

Am I taking crazy pills?

I think we try too hard. Yes, racism does still exist today. It's unfortunate, but it's true. But I think we all just make it worse.

A lot of people, especially in the south, have grown up with certain ideals that aren't exactly...right...and thats not an excuse for them, but thats what they know and it's hard for them to change. Again, thats wrong, its not an excuse, but I can see that happening.

But when I open a newspaper and theres a huge write-up about how theres not enough black quarterbacks playing football, and theres not enough black coaches, and theres not enough black CEO's, and on and on and on, I think we've got a problem. Why do we have to make it an issue??? Why do we have to bring that up?? Not that we should ignore stuff like that, but I really don't think it's an issue. What are we supposed to do, start favoring a minority race over another? (affirmitive action..btw, possibly one of the most absurd things ever) Doesn't that just turn the tables? Isn't that still racism, just against another race? I just don't get it. And then the media brings it up and makes it an issue.

If we're all created equal, and we're all working for racial equality, then why can't we do just that? Treat people like they're a normal human being, not a charity case. That doesn't mean that every occupation has to be a perfect racial ratio. That'll never happen. But again, I don't think we should even think in those terms. It's simple. Take the best man for the job. So maybe we're protecting people from racists...fair enough. But I think they will be phased out. It takes time, but lets not make matters worse.

On a plane, I don't go out to serve drinks, and say to myself "ya know, I think I'm gonna serve black people first." Thats just dumb.

I don't like BET. Not like anything on it bothers me, but why you gotta call it that? Don't limit it to who its intended for.

I don't claim to have all the answers, I'm just pointing out a problem.

I dont' like to change subjects like this, but while we're on the media, imagine this: what if all they reported was good news? What if everytime you tuned in to the 6 o'clock news you saw people helping people instead of people killing people? I understand not as many people would watch, but do you think we'd have a better society as a whole? Would people be more positive? Would it inspire more people to do good instead of inspiring people to do more bad?

Maybe we've already experimented with this when they came out with Sunday Funday, and lets be honest...It just don't work. But It's a thought.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more on the whole racism thing. What do you think would happen if someone started the WET channel, and of course I mean White Entertainment Channel, which played only shows for white people, with only white people in them? I don't think it would go over too well. By the way, I love your blog Jerm, I check it every day to see what you'll come up with next.

Chris

Matt Pinson said...

I am a fan of affirmative action. We are all created equal, but we aren't all born with the same opportunities. For instance I was able to go to college because my dad was able to go to college and get a good job, and he was able to go to college because his dad had a good job. But when his dad was working. Black people weren't given good jobs, and a cycle started of white people getting better opportunities. If affirmative action helps even that out just a little bit, it's a good thing.

Brown Sugar said...

I agree jeremy....i'm mostly tired of the media making big deals about things that would otherwise work itself out without drawing unecessary amounts of people into it. equaly i hate how media gives celebries so much voice on certain topics..i dont' give rats @$$ about what a certain celebrity thinks about politics, racism, or life in general...especially people like kanye west...who blame anyone he can for his own self victimizing thoughts...anyway..one thing that doesn't help the cause of racial equality is when people still fit the stereotypes that give them a bad reputation...whites and blacks alike...sometime i wish we could just start over without the thought of racism ever existing..but as long as it's in our history, it will still be in our future .....but hopefully i'm wrong about that....it's a hard topic...i can go on but my brain is fried ofter reading the whole site about Sunday Funday.....it was a pitfall in my day.

BSC said...

Always beware of the good ole boy system. Racism is very strong among some of the older administrators and owners in sports, believe me.

Also, while it would be interesting if media just reported the goodnews all the time, they would be failing their purpose of keeping people informed and therefore empowered. We would never know about Iraq, or Iran/Contra, 9/11 or any of that. Sometimes it hurts to see what's on there, but it's better than ignorance.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy,
We've been looking for you and finally found your blog. Jonathan and I lost your freakin' phone number! So give him a call to let him know what it is. If you don't remember his cell number, email us at jhart2714@hotmail.com
jonathan and Jennifer Hartnagle
ps. the quote is: "I feel like I'm takin' crazy pills!"

J-Wild said...

Diversity isn't something that just happens. In order for diversity to happen deliberate descisions to include people of other cultures or skin tones must be made. Affirmative action is just one tool that helps to ensure that effort is being made.

There is a great quote that goes, "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple!"

Matt is right when he talks about the inequality of opportunity that lies at the heart of race relations. You can't have a group of people who were enslaved, segregated, given unequal education, and marginalized and then say all of a sudden, "Hey best man or woman gets the job." You will never be able to close the gap of inequality.

I have met several kids that Shiloh serves that are every bit as smart as I am. Yet they go to schools that are atrocious, and have about 1/4 of the opportunities avaible to them that I had merely because they are poor. Considering my opportunities what I have accomplished isn't that amazing (95% of my HS class went to college). However when you are dealing with communities who have a 25% HS graduation rate then it is something when a person makes it through that mess (Sade Grant for example).

I am not advocating quotas. I wouldn't argue hiring a black economist who doesn't know anything about economics. But I would argue that institutions should actively look for kids from underserved communities who have the potential to learn economics, and then ensure that money doesn't get in their way of recieving that education.

tine said...

totally unrelated here...good post and comments though...really, jeremy, I just wanted to ask if you had any tips for flying with kids? I am sure you have seen the best and worst of it...Tomorrow will be our first time to fly with Jack...he's 14 months old and doesn't have his own seat...do you have any advice to make the flight easier on him and those around us? my prayer has just been that we won't sit next to someone who hates children! we're flying to minnesota, and it's just 2 1/2 hours from D/FW...but I just want to be thoughtful of those around me, and help Jack get through the flight alright...let me know if you have any words of wisdom!