Tuesday, January 24, 2006

All work..and all play!

Picture of the Week: San Diego, Ca

Yes, this is the view from my hotel room


Another View

A typical overnight for me goes pretty much like this: you get in, get your room, pull out the chair and watch t.v. Theres a big reason for this. When you get up early, you get in really tired. Once you sit on that bed, you're toast. You'll be out within minutes, leaving you wired when its time to go to bed at 9pm. Not a good situtation. So sit on the chair, and you're better off.

If theres a mall or something around, you go wander around, get sick of teeny boppers and remember that comfy chair back in your hotel and the seinfeld marathon running on TBS. You know where you should be.

So you do that until an early dinner time that you previously arranged with your crew, go down to the hotel restaurant with the 35% discount, eat dinner, and head to bed early. Thats pretty much what happens.

Unless you have 19 hrs in Salt Lake City.

When I think of Salt Lake I think of skiing. Thats what I want to do. So I brought my ski clothes and left my board at home. (I've heard that they will put your stuff underneath the plane for you if you want..you can just bring it down there yourself..idunno though.)

So we got in at 11:30 MT and got to the hotel shortly therafter. I ran upstairs, changed, grabbed my backpack, and headed across the street to a ski shop that rented me a snowboard and got me my twighlight lift ticket at Brighton resort for a total of a whopping $60. (Cheeap) The van driver then gave me a lift over to a car rental place, got me a NICE Dodge Neon (I was slightly concerned over its ability to climb up a mountain) and I was on my way.

they gave me the "male flight attendant special" when it came to snowboards. I dunno what they were thinking, but the top was brown, and the bottom was PINK, with a rainbow on it. A FREAKING RAINBOW! There was a small one on the top, too. But being secure in my mascualinity as I am, I took it and left. I didn't have time to waste on frivilous things.

A little later I realized that I had had NOTHING to eat all day long, so it took me about 10 minutes on the road to convince myself that I needed to sacrafice 5 minutes to stop and get some food. I grabbed a crappy half hoagie from the refrigerated food section at some corner convenience store. It tasted like plastic, but it got me through dinner without having to spend $20 on food on the mountain.


I was on a lift by 2pm MT. Why did I choose Brighton? Night skiing. I could stay till 9 if I wanted. though I chose not to for 2 reasons: It was FREEZING up there. Especially at night. I'm sure it was in the teens, which pretty much leaves you with a numb face by the time you make it down the run.. Plus I was slightly concerned about getting down icy mountain roads in a neon with no four-wheel drive and no chains. Not going there..thanks.

I left at 6, giving me 4 full hours of skiing. It was beautiful being up there during sunset.

And just knowing that TECHNICALLY I was still working...It was even more beautiful.

-JJ

3 comments:

K-Rock said...

Now I know that my job has a lot of perks. In fact, I get to go on an all expense paid ski trip over spring break to Winterpark. However, I must say that this is a little sweeter. I bet it was a good day...you suck!

Malaysian Debster said...

One word: sweetness!

teresefaye said...

SOUTHWEST FLIES FROM SAN DIEGO TO DENVER! WOOHOO!
thanx for spending time with me while you were here!