Thursday, March 16, 2006

Unfortunate Meeting

Winter Park, Colorado
I've become somewhat of a naturalist. In other words, I've become concerned with the protection of our environment...the wild animals, the trees, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I like meat, I think cows are here for a reason..but we've got plenty of them.
But on my ski trip to Winter Park, Co. I really didn't plan on getting this close. I've noticed that I really love back-country riding..the kind the sends you through small, bumpy trails through the trees. On this particular day, I drug Kevin along with me, and almost got lost in the woods. I just can't resist the serenity of it all, and the powder!!!
We finally found our way of the trees, and hit the next lift, where I was bound and determined to head back through the trees. So when we get off the lift, I made a bee-line right over to the left side of the run, where a number of small trails had been cut through the trees. Kevin declined to follow me this time. As I was finding my way through, I decided this particular area of trees was a little much for me. I found a trail that took me back to the open run.
I was about 3 feet from being out of the woods, when my snowboard gets caught in the powder, and I take a tumble.
Now don't you think for a moment that I don't fall. I fall all the time. Its part of it. It's really the only way you get better. Only this time was a little different. As I fell, I saw that dad-gum tree. I lost sight of the tree, but it was firmly implanted in my mind. At this point there was little I could do but hit the snow and tumble as usual, knowing that this tree was there, just wondering where It's gonna hit. Legs? Ribs? Is it possible I'll miss it all together?? Head? Oh no. The head. If this stupid tree hits me on the head I'll never live it down, since I'm told over and over by my mom to wear a helmet. Great. Karma, I guess.
A split second later it happens. My head thats travelling about 5 mph, tumbling through the snow, comes to a sudden halting stop.
I felt the "THUD" on the right side of my head, right above the temple, and that nauseous feeling that you get when you get punched in the nose.
I lay there for no more than 2 seconds before I hear Kevin say "Dude..are you OK??"
I've never been so relieved to hear that voice, just to know that I was concious and my brain was functioning after it had been hit with a sledge hammer.
I raised my left arm and moaned a "yeeeahhhhh."
Whew, speech is ok, too.
I laid there for about a minute, then struggled to my feet, and mentioned to Kevin that I couldn't believe that I just hit my head on a tree!!
Kevin was equally stunned, since he thought it hit me on the ribs. But I had the sore head to prove it.
But i got up, laughed it off, and continuted my day. Needless to say, I was a little cautious of the trees after that.

But Big thanks to Kevin Hackett and his youth group for allowing me to crash their party. Kevin brought his youth group up to Winter Park, Co. for a few days, and it happened to be the days that I was looking to take my last ski trip of the season, and I couldn't for the life of me find anyone to go with me. Thats when I found out that Kevin happened to have an extra "pillow" for me to use.

He just didn't tell me that it was in his bed.

But it was all well worth it. Snows on Saturday - Monday made for probably the best skiing I've done. Though we had to wait in line for an hour at the bottom of the mountain just to get on the lift!!! I bet you 90% of Oklahoma and Texas was there. But once we got up, all was good. I spent two good days of skiing before heading back home to Chicago.

I'm just glad I remembered the whole thing.

-JJ

PS kevin I didn't put the pics from my small camera on here b/c I can't find the card to get them off!!!

3 comments:

K-Rock said...

Dude, that was like the most fun time of skiing ever! I must say, everytime I replay that 15 seconds in my head, I just have to laugh! It was so funny, after I figured out you were ok that is! We have to go again!

Anonymous said...

Jeremy, This all just goes to show that you're mom is always right. A helmet is not a sign of weakness. It all reminds me of the book I have at home titled "I Want To Thank My Brain For Remembering Me."
Be careful out there.
Dad

K-Rock said...

Jerm, that sounds like a complete echo of what you said was going to be said by your parents...nice Dad, keep him on his toes!