Friday, April 21, 2006

I love Montana..and it loves me

First off, thanks for enduring my long posts. I hope I'm making them somewhat tolerable.
AAAnd, if you don't know by now, I love Montana. Its wonderful. I left that awesome Barnes and Noble in Billings, and went and found my KOA for the evening. Not only is it the very first KOA in the nation, its also very very very nice.
This is my tent at the KOA in Billings..behind it is the Yellowstone River
As I pulled into my assigned camping spot, I noticed I had fellow campers. (yyaaaay!) I greeted him, and went about my business of setting up my tent. A few moments later, he came over, introduced himself, and started assisting me in putting up my tent. We chatted for about 15 mins, and it was amazing how similar we were. Not really that much in personalities...well..let me just tell you. He's in the process of looking into a school in Billings for aeronautics..he's from vegas, and he thought he would make a road trip out of it. and he's been camping the whole way. Also, he used to be a flight attendant for an airline called National..until they went kapoot. Plus, we'd both had one of those moments the previous day, me in south dakota, him in Idaho camping in 17 degree weather, when we thought to ourselves, "what on earth am I doing??" This was our rejuvination.
So, naturally, since we'd both been eating garbage for a few days (pbj, lunch meat, etc) , and since in 15 mins we had grown to be such good friends, he invited me out to eat with him.
As I was in the car with him, i looked at him, and said "hey, since i've only known you for a few mins, and here I am in a car with you, please don't drive me to some creepy place and kill me."
He laughed, and said, "same goes for you."
So we got o Outback steakhouse, walk in, and within 2 mins of being there, the waitress looks at us and says "you guys aren't from here, are you?" we were stunned. How did she know? Well she never said. But we were instantly friends. Long story short, the night ended, me and steve full of steak, sharing a dessert with 4 waitresses, and the owner of the restaurant. They found it amazing and funny how we just met b/c we were camping next to each other.
So I slept awesome that night. it got cool..prolly in the 40s, but very comfy, and i slept like a rock. Much better, I'd say.
So this morning I got up to clear skies and 50 degrees (its since warmed up to 70s), and drove 2 hrs to Bozeman, where I met up with a couple that I met on a flight a couple months back and they own a pizza shop. I got free lunch. Then I found a hiking trail and booked it up. It wore me out. the trail was pretty much verticle. But I ran into a guy who noticed my "times picayune-we publish come hell or high water" tshirt, and he went off about how great a job they did and to say hi to my dad. Nice guy. actually everyone here is nice. Anyways, I'm at a small coffee shop in Bozeman now, and I'm gonna stay another day and try to find a different hiking spot.

This one needs no explanation

JJ


7 comments:

Malaysian Debster said...

Thanks for the text today! Needless to say, we're jealous of you. :)

Brown Sugar said...

i am so freakin jealous it's a sin....of course i love camping but to just strike up conversation and have a fun time with someone you just met...that just makes me want to be you...sometimes....you need to quit having so much adventure without us others.......if i had any vacation time, i'd be there with you...but i'd probably hinder your experience

laura jo said...

i love your first picture at the KOA -- amazing! i'm a big fan of KOAs. on family road trips, we didn't do the hotel thing; we did the KOA thing. one notable year, after trek with my youth group, my family came to pick up jenny and me and we went camping for two more weeks in yellowstone and yes, up to south dakota for mt. rushmore (not closed). good times. oh, i'm also jealous that you got to see justin, allison, and elizabeth. have fun on the rest of your trip!

K-Rock said...

It's definitely good to see that this post was much better than the last. I'm glad things went well for you...and you hit it off with some crazy nut job...nice! 4 waitresses for dessert, I think that's a successful night bro! Sounds like you're having a blast while the rest of us down here in the real world are working! Have a good one man!

The Future said...

Hey, I know that picture says it needs no explanation, but how did you shoot it while you are by yourself in the wilderness? Did Steve take it? If so, why isn't there a picture of him? It's a story about him, ya know...

Allison Brown said...

Hey!
Good to see that your tripod works! I was a little worried about you when we saw the forecast for your trip. It is good to see you are okay. Elizabeth thought you were great by the way :).

Steve said...

So what we got now is Billings, Montana....

...I wish I knew how to quit you...