Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day 7: Wrappin' it all up

I slowly opened my eyes on saturday morning, only to see the faces of Brock and Madison staring down on me. Kind of a creepy way to wake up, but I laughed it off, then in turn laughed at Dearing because at this point she was practically sleeping on the floor, with the air mattress deflated around her.

Brock made us waffles and coffee (or coffee flavored candy, just the wayI like it), and after lounging around for a few hours and being corrected by Madison on my table manners (Jeremy!!! do not talk with food in your mouth!!) we got dressed and headed out to the farmers market. I wish I lived near something like that (well..i might I just don't have a car to drive to it!) because there was pretty much everything you wanted...only fresh. They even had salsa out for free tastings. It was a very fun family atmosphere.


Leaving the farmers market, we strolled along "downtown" Corvallis, buying myself some Teva's (my favorite!), and stopping for some more coffee!



Back in the minivan, we took a tour of the Oregon State campus then stopped for lunch at an Oregon staple...organic food. It was a place called nearly normals, and it was surprisingly tasty. About 3pm, Dearing and I loaded up, left Brock and Natasha, and headed for Portland.

This hostile was a lot more like normal hostils. Vagrant teenagers everywhere, sleeping, playing cards, and just being wierd. We felt like we fit right in. Finding a place to park on the street, we headed downtown to Powell's Bookstore, home of the largest collection of new and used books in the USA. I felt compelled to buy something, something like a cookbook for guys who don't have a clue, but there were just absolutely too many to choose from, and I walked away with Nada.

Moving on.

We wandered over to an Italian festival, where we picked up some pasta, pizza, and some wine and settled onto some stone steps for some people watching.

As the evening winded up, we wanted to go to a bar..yes mom and dad..A BAR! and sample some local brew. We felt like it just needed to be done.

It was a pleasant evening and a great way to wind up our adventure. We sat outside, and asked the waitress for advice on which beer to get. I ordered something called "The Terminator", and I can't remember what D ordered. Either way, mine tasted like metal and hers was just...gross..but we forced it down, and spent the time talking about all we'd done, how much fun we'd had, and congratulating each other for not killing one another.

We headed back to the hostile, took showers, and headed off to bed.

The next day we got up early and headed off to the airport. We flew to Phoenix together, where she caught a flight home to Nashville and I headed off to Denver.

The trip was awesome all together. Probably at LEAST top 2 adventures I've ever had...you know what, it may just as well be #1. I really enjoyed the freeness, nature, and Dearing was one of the best to do it all with.

I've found that in my travels, the best person to travel with is someone who doesn't complain. If something goes wrong, you deal with it and laugh at it and roll with the punches, and D was good at that.

So thats it! I'm sure everyone is glad to be done with it, and honestly so am I, and lucky for you I'm going to Yosimite in 2 weeks! But thanks to everyone who put up with these stories for all 7 days!!!

-JJ

5 comments:

jch said...

We know, of course, why you really did this epic post on your travels - you haven't wanted to admit how dominant the AL is over the NL and the almost guaranteed embarrassment that will surely occur in the World Series. We understand. It's okay.

Say it with me Jeremy: "Jeter MVP!"

Brown Sugar said...

dang...i haven't seen brock and natasha since back in the day...the ACU way....uh..anyway..that's cool....but i actually haven't read this post yet so i should do that when i have time.

tjandholly said...

Whoa. I've never seen pics of Brock & Natasha's little one(s). They are pretty darn cute! I can't believe it - a real family with a minivan and everything!

The Juice said...

Joe- yes i can admit the dominance of the AL this year, it just makes me angry. I've just resorted turning on the AL as a whole.

tj and holly- in brocks defense, the minivan was his dads. Brock refuses to buy one, he borrowed it so we could all ride together.

laura g said...

hey, you guys made it home alive! okay, so i already knew the ending, but i enjoyed reading it anyway.