Wednesday, December 06, 2006

All Wheel Drive Is verrrry good...

...but it isn't everything.

I pondered for a whole 5 minutes on whether to post this and show my foolishness and ignorance and whatever other deficiencies it points to. But...DEEP BREATH...here it goes.

I flew home saturday night, and while landing, saw a sea of moonlit snow. During the blizzard of snow and ice that swept the country last week, I was enjoying the toasty weather of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Tucson, AZ, and San Diego, CA. I love snow and coldness and whiteness, and I missed the whole thing.

But upon arriving at home, I found that it was waiting for me.

Sunday morning I drove on into church, and to get there you have to drive up a very windy and somewhat steep hill. This hill was covered in hardened snow and ice.

I enjoyed church among my sniffling and sneezing, then started to head out for home. I turned left onto the snowy street, and for some dumb reason my right foot decided to give ole' Drake a little more gas than I should have, sending the car into a spin.

yup, I said it, a completely uncontrolled -heart stoppin-clench the steering wheel - white nuckled spin. Unfortonutely the street wasn't exactly wide and cars were parked on both sides.

Oops.

Ok so I wasn't going really fast, but one car hitting another at pretty much any speed will do damage.

So as the back end slid I found myself facing two parked cars about 10 feet away and closing in. Theres nothing you can do. At least thats what my brain told me, as I was too horrified to try to correct. I just wanted to stop. By foot was hard on the brake (whether this was a good move or another dumb one, I really have no idea) and Drake slowly crept toward the left front fender of one car and the back left bumper of another. At least i was going for their bumpers, not the door.

As the car closed in, I found myself realizing that I was about to damage my brand new car. I started whispering, then a little more loudly, "NO..NO..NOOOOO"

Then it stopped. Drake had listened. When it came down to crunch time, I had PLEADED with Drake not to hit those cars, and he hadn't. If I had gotten out to look, I probably would have found that he had stopped no more than 2 inches from the other cars.

My hands shaking, I threw the car in reverse, backed up, and headed down the hill pondering what had just occurred. And I definitely utilized the one snow and ice driving technique that I DO know...engine braking by downshifting. I can say that I was a little flustered.

I have a lot to learn about this snow and ice stuff.



I told this story to a friend of mine and he told me of a time when he, in his little red pickup truck, tried to turn right down another road, only to see the road pass by him, then he saw another car that was trying to turn FROM that same road, as he slid sideways down the street. He smiled and waved at the lady in the car, and thought "ahh well, I was wanting to go this way anyway." He calmly corrected back down the street, and continued on his way. he mentioned that the lady in the car didn't seem concerned at all.

At least I'm not the only one.

-JJ

1 comment:

laura g said...

DRAKE! glad he is okay. i hate, HATE that feeling of KNOWING you're gonna hit that car.