Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter: The Rant

I've tried holding my post back for a while to protect my friends....But I cannot hold out any longer...

THIS HARRY POTTER THING IS COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL. I CAN'T STAND IT!

There. I said it. I didn't want to do it because I want to protect my valuable friendships. See, I have a few friends, who will remain nameless, who are completely and utterly obsessed with old Harry. I love these friends, deeply, and I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I feel like its completely gone too far.

As you all may know, we are mere days away from the release of the final installment of Harry Potter.

I'm not going to sit here and cite examples to you how folks have gone COMPLETELY NUTTY with this whole thing. It should be fairly obvious. I'm just waiting to see the mental wards fill up the day after everyone reads the new book and finds out that Harry never hooks up with Cho and does, in fact, die. We may just have a spike in murder rates.

Now I read the books. I'm currently reading HP number 6 in an effort to finish it before the new book does come out. I sat at home yesterday and read 400 pages worth of it. Most of this is due to the bet I made with Deanna (nothing on the line except for pride) that I could read them all before the new one came out. What can I say, I'm competitive.

I also owe the fact that I DO read to Harry. I hated reading before I picked up a copy of #1 back at my first summer at Shiloh. But i've always been "in progress" with a book since.

IT IS a good story. It's a easy read, addicting, well written and...well...just a flat out good story.

But theres a fine line between enjoying a good story and completely obsessing your life over it. And that's where my problem lies. I've always been a big fan of the idea of "everything in moderation."

Folks, you've crossed that line. Actually you crossed it a long time ago.

As for me, I will get the book (probably second hand from someone...or...i'll probably will know what will happen within a week of the book releasing..so whats the point)

I guess my problem is that I shun being a part of hype. I've been that way since I was a kid. I refused, and have yet to see, the movie Titanic for the pure fact that it was such a huge hit. I wanted nothing to do with it.

I don't want to call any of my friends out (but feel free to comment).

There it is. I've said it. I'm sorry, but my feelings must be known.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Thanks for being honest although I already knew these feelings and just like I have a right to my opinion so do you so thats fine. I guess it is just fun sometimes to be part of a hype and be into something that so many people are that you will never even meet. I think that is so interesting! So, you wait in line for baseball games and we wait in line for Harry Potter. I dont see much difference there.

Lauren said...

Exactly what Dee said. I am glad you were honest and as long as you don't stop being my friend of course I will honor your opinion! So you think the daily videos are a little over the top? Eh, I've had fun doing them and really that's all that matters. I won't share with you my plans for the 7th book release. It's probably for the best!

The Juice said...

sure there is..its called reality.

The CineManiac said...

Jerm,
I completely disagree with you. I think a good obsession can be healthy.
There are a lot of things out there for people to be obsessed over, and frankly HP is one of the good things. And as you yourself have said the HP books are the very reason some people read at all, so if they want to freak out and go buy the book at midnight the day it comes out, good for them, it's better than stalking or being obsessed with something dangerous to them.
All that said, I will be at Barnes & Noble Friday night starting at about 9:30pm so I can get my copy at midnight, even though it's about a 20 min drive. (and I saw the new movie opening day)
But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I'm glad you were honest with your readers.
Also, I still remember when you made fun of me and Grubbs for reading the HP books, and then when you came back from Shiloh, slightly obsessed yourself!
BTW Titanic, is actually a decent movie, you should give it a try, I mean the hype has died down over the (almost) decade since it's release.

The Juice said...

maybe the bigger issue here is how a fictional book effects the daily lives of those who are...obsessed.

Tyler said...

hey, you know hype isn't all that bad sometimes. you just have to learn to distinguish the good from the bad hype. no matter what you say though, ron is still hot, and i might be considered moderately obsessed :) some do take it a bit too seriously though.

The Juice said...

Tyler i was wondering if you'd chime in on this one.

I've just always hated hype. I've always run the other way. I honestly have no idea why. I guess I get so involved with being different from everyone else, that when people become obsessed with something, I avoid it all together. but HP and apple have good enough products that I bought into them...to an extent. ;)