Monday, September 24, 2007

Quite Unfortunate...

Yesterday Milton Bradley, who has had a history of off and on the field disputes, had a "spat" with an umpire. Now it's important to mention that Bradley has seen no significant troubles in the past few years, and is now leading his team in the midst of a playoff race.

As of today they lead the wild card by 1/2 game over the LA Dodgers.

From what was reported, an umpire accused him of throwing the bat at another umpire, and after calmy brushing it off and insisting that he did no such thing, he continued to be berated by the umps.

After a single and while standing on first, the video clearly shows the ump jawing at Bradley, who, while still trying to PLAY A BASEBALL GAME, tried to defend himself. Never did he show any visible hostility. Then Bradley went berserk and started yelling at the ump for accusing him of something he didn't do.

First of all, I'd like to say that even if he DID do it, this is completely un-professional on the part of the umpire. Either you stop play and settle it like a MLB Umpire, or you let it go. One or the other. DO NOT continue to badger the player as if you have some sort of personal vendetta against him.

Well Bradley ended up yelling in the umps face, only to get tossed. The manager came out to hold Bradley back, and in the meantime threw him to the ground and subsequently twisting Bradley's knee. He had to be carried off the field, and is quoted after the game:

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," Bradley said Sunday. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this, because I didn't do nothing wrong."

The test results were just reported: Bradley tore his ACL and is out for the remainder of the year. Nice job, umps. I find this appalling and I hope that ump is terminated.

-JJ





2 comments:

jennifer said...

I can't believe no one has commented on this yet. I keep checking back because I am interested in what other people have to say about it. I don't know the whole story, just what I saw on TV and read here, but I agree with you. It NEVER should have become such an issue from the Umpire.

laura g said...

a bit of consolation - i just read that the ump is suspended!