Thursday, January 31, 2008

Video Chat

Yesterday I chatted with my old college roommate Travis Tidmore on Instant Messenger. He was in class at Pepperdine, and I was at my crash pad in chicago.

Now Travis and his wife Jeri just had a child. His name is Owen, and I thought it would be fun to utilize the cameras on our Macbooks so I could see a live picture of Owen. We temporarily agreed, and made vague plans to contact each other later that night to see if we could make it happen.

So later on, I found him online and we started a video chat. I honestly had no idea what to expect. In my mind I thought there would be a choppy, low quality video on the screen where we stared at each other while typed in messages.

So all of a sudden, after I accepted a video chat invitation from Travis, when there was a crystal clear image of travis, Jeri, and Owen sitting on their couch in Malibu, and them audibly saying hi to me, I was slightly shocked. I didn't even know my computer had a microphone on it. All of a sudden we were having a mini teleconference from across the country. It was outstanding. Owen was beautiful, and after a few awkward moments of staring at each other and having nothing to say, we started utilizing the fun backgrounds (note the roller coaster background from above, probably the best one...not a perfected technology, but still fun) The video would sometimes go a little blurry, but not too bad. All in all it was a blast.

At one one point they even had to move the computer so Jeri could feed little owen. A little wierd, but I've been used to that since high school. ;)

So after about 45 minutes or so, some spilled water and a walk around the house to Bev and Bren, two girls in my crash pad, could say hi to Owen, we signed off. I felt that our conversation was a lot more fulfilling that just a phone call. Fun times.



-JJ

1 comment:

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

Thanks for the shout out. And, thanks for saying Owen is beautiful. That makes my heart smile. :-)

jeri