Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I have a sort of...Condundrum?

So heres my thing. I just placed membership at my church. With the whole "in the middle of service announcement of my 'decision' plus the fact that I am single" and everything.

Which brings me to my problem. I love my church. I do. Everyone is friendly, and open minded. The preacher is great. (Reg Cox for those of you who know him). And I love my friends. My married friends that is.

Just last Sunday I got into a conversation with Reg, and somewhere in there I mentioned that I thought I was the only single person there. "Call me when your 40 and single" he responded.

Ok, so fair enough, I'm 27, not a big deal, and the amount of single girls at my church was never factored in my decision making. But its also a valid point. Theres not many outlets for me to meet people. Ok, well I meet tons of people when I work, but they all live across the country and I'm not about to do that.

Kelsie told me the church she attends, not far down the road, is loaded with single people my age. So MENver denver isn't so MENver after all.

But I just placed membership. I can't just bail. And it would be for the wrong reasons anyway, right? I would just split time in between the two, but when your only there one sunday a month, thats like once every two months....

So right now I'm thinking of going to our small group at Lakewood on tuesdays, and maybe splitting time on sundays...or just going to Saturday night service at Kelsies church...I dunno.

Any thoughts?

-JJ

7 comments:

Ronni Jean said...

ha ha - ok, so I don't regularly attend church anymore, but is it really that bad if don't go to church very often where you placed membership?? I mean, are they going to blacklist you or something? :)

this is just an opinion from a random person you went to college with who doesn't even go to church very often anymore - but I think it's absolutely and perfectly fine.

I also think it's also absolutely and perfectly fine if you are still single at 27. or if the whole reason you go to a church is just to meet girls. :)

Deanna said...

I have a funny story to tell you about this.

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

In my opinion, you can totally "bail". The thing is, you need to go where you are comfortable and you are having your "needs" met. Yeah, at this point in your life it is important for you to be able to fellowship in the Church setting with people your age, and single people your age at that.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting that in your Church home. So, I say go ahead and switch. I honestly think that people would understand.

jeri

Jill said...

I met Ken 30 years ago at CHURCH. Go where the singles are!!!!! Love reading your blog, even though I never comment. Love ya!

Mandy B said...

I feel your pain; I go to a church with very few singles, and the ones that are here are single for a reason. However, my situation is special...if I bail, I lose my job.

However, I don't find it that bad. I actually made friends with single people from other churches and hung out on weekends and stuff. Ended up meeting someone and dated for a little while. It may not of have lasted, but it's still an outlet.

Good luck!

The Future said...

I got a simple answer- just enjoy your church now for 3 years, wait until you're 30, then marry LG just like it was agreed upon.

Enjoy life until then. I liked going to your church, it was pretty cool.

I would say also go Saturday nights with your friend.

Anonymous said...

"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27).

It's a fine line a balance. If you have a relationship with Reg and if that relationship is great then cool. Let it be what it is. It's not slavery. It's freedom. Be free. Free in all ways. Sometimes freedom "from" choice is a blessing. If membership provides a blessed freedom...one of choice...and from distracting choices. Great....like the first comm... the church is a mighty big place...you may attend it in many places in many ways. Peace