Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Widow Sighting

Tami and I just got back from an early morning hike to see the aspens turning colors. (see those pictures here) When we arrived back home, I stepped into my bathroom to make sure there was a towel for her to take a shower, when I noticed a spider in the sink.

It was large and looked like it was ready to pounce on me. I soon recognized some distinctive marks on it that identified it as one of the worlds most dangerous spiders: The Black Widow. After smashing it with a shoe, I ran for the internet and my recognition was correct.

Now bears the question, what should I do? Coors is coming over to inspect the house in a couple weeks, where we will definitely mention it. But should I say something sooner? Is this not that big of a deal, just a spider who happened to wander into our house?

7 comments:

Brown Sugar said...

hey jeremy....and tami! Ya'll should come again...but i should go visit ya'll. Of all the times I went to colorado in my past, I never got to go in the Fall to see the changing aspens. I want to...really bad. Nice pictures.

That does concern me if you saw a black widow in your sink. It's odd though. They usually like dark, dry places. You must have been gone a while. But where there is one black widow, there has got to be more....you could check in the cabinets under the sink.....or in places like behind the dryer or fridge....or wood piles may have them or anywhere that would have small dark crevases to hide in....i thouched on on accident when reaching for a box on a shelf at my old place...lucky he didn't get me......

and the females eat the husbands after they mate...hence the name Black Widow.

but don't worry, i'm sure you'll be okay! ;)

jch said...

coors who? did i miss something?

The Juice said...

coors brewing company. they own my house. It was actually built in the 1880s by Adolf Coors himself for his friends.

Tamara said...

Sooo...my mom told me to tell you that you should shake out your clothes, too. Not to be paranoid, but if you have clothes laying around I guess that's another place they like and one way to accidentally startle them would be to put on a shirt that one was chillin' in.

Also, Mr. Photographer Extraordinaire, your pictures turned out amazing! I couldn't decide on which to use as my fb profile pic, so I'm going to rotate between three of them. I credited you on my page; you deserve it! :)

Lauren said...

I'm pretty sure that Deanna will never step foot in your house now...

The Future said...

Great pictures, Juice!

Surprised they've started turning so early. But looks like a week or two from now, they'll be really awesome.

But why is Lost Lake Trail on the sign? If its lost, shouldn't you have to find it yourself?

Did you find it?

laura g said...

let me know what the answer is about what a person is to do about black widows in one's home... because i have a community living under my front porch. i find them in my flowerbeds all the time, but never in the house. i've killed 6.