Saturday, December 27, 2008

So this is how it feels...

Christmas was great. I flew out to Baltimore, met up with my folks, and drove up to Tuckerton NJ and my brothers house. It was great to see them, and my nephew is a giant chatterbox, repeating everything he hears. On Christmas Day, Tami used her last companion pass to give my parents a surprise visit. (pics will come as soon as my dad sends them)

And thats where my story begins.

It was a breeze for her to fly out xmas day, but I knew it would be tough for her to get back. But with all day saturday and sunday, surely she could get on one flight...

So this morning My dad, Tami and I all got up early and drove the 1.5 hours to Philly. We got there really early so Tami would have a shot at getting on the nonstop.

Unsuccessful at getting on the nonstop, our next shot was getting her to chicago, where she would at least have a place to stay and have more options out to Denver.
This is where we realized how hard it can be to get stuck somewhere. The problem is not that you can't get on a flight, its that THERES NOONE TO TALK TO. And really its nobody's fault. The CSA's are doing everything they can, theres just so many people. Every gate had a line 10 deep, and it wasn't moving quickly. And then you just don't know which flight to try to get on!!

Ughh...since I had to work that afternoon in chicago, I ditched Tami and left her to fend for herself. When I landed in Chicago I was glad to find out that she was right behind me, on the very next flight.

Now here we were, with the rest of the day and all the next day in Chicago to get her back to Denver. We immediately ran to the next Den flight and asked the CSA if she could get on the standby list. She looked at us, and bluntly told us that non-rev's (non revenue passengers) wouldn't even have a chance until Wednesday.

Oops. See what happened is that friday night both chicago airports shut down due to fog, cancelling tons of flights and leaving tons of people stranded. Not good when you have nowhere to put them. We had anticipated full flights, but we had not anticipated a HUGE backlog of revenue standby's.

There was no way she was getting out.

A few tears and $300 later, Tami had a flight booked out of O'hare on United back to Denver..ON MONDAY. Yikes.

It all turned out to be a blessing in disguise since Tami's mom lives there. (An hour away) I spoke to her on the phone very briefly and it was then that I knew we had made the right decision. She haden't seen her daughter since May, and she was ecstatic to see her. I talked to Tami just a few hours ago and she sounded completely happy! We just have to suck up to her boss so he won't be too upset that she'll miss a day of work on Monday. ;)

-JJ

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I like the stand-alone sentence "There was no way she was getting out." That about sums it up right there. :P

Brown Sugar said...

i'm glad it all worked out...i hope she still has a job though.