Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vertigo

I've been a skiing slacker this year. Too often I've awoken in my bed, with plans to hit the slopes, but with an overwhelming urge to poke around the house all morning. Sunday night we had a Mardi Gras party, and after speaking to a lot of my ski bum friends, I'm not the only one. Even the most hardcore of us having only been up 3 or 4 times. This has been an unusual winter, as its currently February 24th, and the high today is 65.

That being said, at that same party, I met up with a friend of mine who is currently unemployed. The first thing out of my mouth was "wanna go skiing tomorrow?"

So we did.

It was the best "snow" conditions I've had in a long time. Nice and powdery. We went to A-Basin, where there were almost no crowds, and TONS of completely untouched powder. It also snowed, and being that the peak is at 13,000 ft, sometimes you are in the clouds. And you can't see...ANYTHING.

On the back edge theres the Monezuma Bowl, and we hiked up to an experts only run. Once we got up, it looked like an abyss. If you've never skiid in fog before, basically you look into the fog, then down at the snow, and its almost the same. You have no idea what your about to ski across. Visibility is about 10 feet. It turns your world upside down. You'll be skiing across the mountain, to your left, going very slowly, and next thing you know you fall down and your sliding down the mountain in the OPPOSITE direction you thought you were going. Its crazy. Its skiing in bizzaro world. At one point I looked up to see Luanne practically on top of a dry patch, and she yelled "how on earth did I get over here???." It'd almost be better off just to close your eyes and use your other senses, because your eyes keep decieving you.

Heres a pic I found online of basically what it looks like:



Anyway, we had a good time, and Luanne let me drive her decked out Subaru B9 Tribeca there and back..in the snow. Sweet ride.

-JJ

No comments: